Sunday, May 31, 2009

What's your Motivation

I read somewhere recently (sorry I can't credit it, I don't remember where I read it) that it is very important to have a "why" for your weight loss efforts. If you know what is motivating you, what goal you are aiming at, then you have something to turn to when times get tough. Some people may say they want to lose the baby weight, or feel better, or just to be thin. But is that really a "why?" Why do you want to lose the baby weight? What will you do when you "feel better?" What will change in your life when you are thin? 

Find your true motivation, and make it something that means enough to you so when you are staring your biggest temptation in the face you can imagine that "why" and just say "NO!" Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mean that you can never eat a piece of cake again, or that chocolate is a thing of the past. Moderation is key, but if you are tempted by something and you feel that urge to overindulge, that's when you need the help of your "why."After some real soul searching, I discovered my real :"why."

Why now? Why am I really doing this? What will keep me headed in the right direction when times get tough? Sure, I want to look good for my reunion. Of course I want to wear those cute clothes. And who wouldn't want to be healthier? But none of those reasons had that deeply emotional connection with me to give me the strength I need to pull through. "Well, what is it then?" you ask, here it is, I want to be able to wear my wedding ring again!

Less than a year after I got married (6 years ago), I started gaining weight. Shortly there after, I couldn't get my wedding ring on. Here I am, 5 years of not wearing my ring, and something inside me snapped. Now, every morning, I try that ring on to see how close I am, and to remind me of why I am doing this. When I think "Hm, how about picking up a dozen doughnuts for breakfast?" or "That king sized Snickers looks good." I can look down at my bare wedding ring, and I find the courage to say "NO!" 

So what's your motivation, what is your "why?" 



I'm aiming for 150 pts per day in the
Fabulous Fatties Challenge #2, so I set up this tracker to follow my results.

No comments: