Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Small Changes

Small changes can make a big difference. . . sometimes, not for the better. One piece of advice I've heard many times regarding weight loss and healthy living is to quit the soda. Stop drinking soda, and you'll lose weight, right? Well, if so many people have done it and it worked, there must be some truth to it. So, like a good little follower, I quit soda. Well, almost, I still may have a Diet Sprite once or twice a week. Now, here's where the lightbulb suddenly kicked in for me. I was watching Cook Yourself Thin, and thinking about substitutions I could make in my recipes to make them lower cal, and it hit me. I made a backwards substitution! I quit diet, calorie free soda, and replaced my morning Diet Coke, with calorie filled coffee drinks!! I increased my calorie intake. And ever since, I keep trying to figure out why it has gotten so much harder to lose weight.

Now health junkies may tell you that diet soda if full or chemicals and is bad for you, and they may be right. But if not drinking the soda is having a negative effect on me, then it's kind of a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. So I now officially un-quit soda! Instead of a 300-400 calorie coffee drink to get me going (and no, I can not drink black coffee, yuck) I'm going back to my Diet Coke. We'll see next week how much of a difference this little change makes.

Always remember, advice is great. But not all advice is going to be right for every person. Take the parts that make sense for you, and don't worry about the rest. What works for one person, may not be right for you. Alternatively, what doesn't work for someone else, may be exactly the thing you need.

Healthy and Happy Living

2 comments:

Bella said...

Yeah, that is definitely part of why I also drink soda (besides the fact that I just love the taste) because the alternatives that taste like something (unlike water) have more calories, even fruit juices.

By the way your comment form (layout?) makes it really hard to comment as there is no way to enter the text from the captcha (it's cut off). The only way to see it is to hit the TAB key.
Maybe you want to look into that.

A Healthier Me said...

Thanks Bella, I'll have to check out the layout issue.