Saturday, June 6, 2009

Healthy Breakfast

I discovered today how important a healthy breakfast actually is, by not having one. Since starting the Healthy Challenge, I've been having healthy breakfasts and feeling great. Today my husband received some chocolately, carmelly, nutty, ooey, gooey deliciousness from a friend. Well, I couldn't help but have one, first thing this morning, before anything else...

First off, I do not feel one little bit of guilt for having it, I don't feel like I'm failing because I indulged a little, I'll just adjust my calories a little to make up for it.

Well, that's where the happiness ends. I had a healthy mid morning snack and prepared for my training session. And it was twice as hard to do the same exercises as it was last week. All that sugary fat sitting in my gut made me a little sluggish, and made it harder to breath through all the core strengthening exercises. Now, being the stubborn person I am, I pushed through like it wasn't bothering me, but I felt icky. So now, I will be taking that part of the challenge to heart, now and forever! Here's an article I found on the importance of eating breakfast - there are tons out if you do an internet search.

You only fail if you don't learn from your mistakes, eating ooey gooey deliciousness first thing in the morning, mistake. What did I learn? Save it for later when you don't have to perform any physical activity right after. I feel like I need a nap, but instead I'm going to see if I can't burn the rest of it out of my system with a nice long walk.

2 comments:

Connie said...

That is so true isn't it! I feel so much better on the days that I have eggs, canadian bacon and fruit than the days when I just have cereal. Food really is fuel!

Viv said...

Yeah, that is true. I pretty much always eat a healthy breakfast just because that's my favorite (some bread with ham, fruit and a yogurt, not all mixed together of course ;)). Or some cereal (musli or basic low fat cornflakes with fruit chopped in is tasty and healthy too!).