Thursday, July 9, 2009

Veggie Soup

Now I don't know about you, but I don't like to finish a meal and still be hungry. How can a person stick to a meal plan like that? I know I can't. So I found a great solution. This recipe has been altered and modified so much from the original that I'm not even sure what the original is anymore.

Today's recipe is a totally customizable veggie soup. Adjust for servings, this can actually be made as a single serving if you desire. I like to make a larger batch so I have leftovers, which make a great lunch the next day. The best thing about this soup is there are barely any calories, so you can pretty much eat how much you need to feel full.

For a large batch {single batch ammts at the end in brackets}:
2 cups Cauliflower Flowerets (50 calories) {1/3 cup : 8 calories}
2 cups Broccoli Flowerets (62 calories) {1/3 cup : 10 calories}
1 cup shreaded Carrots (45 calories) {1/6 cup : 8 calories}
1 tablespoon Tomato Paste (13 calories) {1/2 tsp : 2 calories}
6 cups water (0 calories) {1 cup : 0 calories}
6 cubes Beef Boullion (30 calories) {1 cup : 5 calories}

Dump everything in a big pot. Stir. Heat over medium heat until the veggies are to desired consistency - I like them really squishy. Serve hot. Serving size is discretionary, there are only 200 calories in the entire pot of soup! If you go by the single serving recipe there are 34 calories.

Now here's the fun part. You can substitute anything you want. Don't like beef boullion? Use vegtable stock or chicken broth (if you use stock don't use the water). Like the tomato taste? Add more tomato paste (I'm not a tomato person so I keep that low). You can switch out the veggies too. Have fun with it, just remember whatever you switch out, adjust the calorie counts.

Healthy and Happy Living

No comments: